View Single Post
Old
06-06-2012, 11:23 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
His first year he played a lot and did better the more he played. The second year he was a back-up. It is my opinion that when you're not a technically sound goalie, you accumulate rust a lot faster than well trained goalies do, because when they're not sharp their positioning and technique isn't really there to save them. Bob is not a technical goalie at all, and I think this is why his second year results were not as good.

Bobrovsky's physical talents are bananas. The fact that he made the NHL and was essentially a starter in his rookie year without ever having a goalie coach speaks to that (I've never heard of another goalie doing that). I seriously rate his physical ability as highly as Jon Quick's, Semyon Varlamov's or Pekka Rinne's . . . he's just a tremendous athlete, very very fast and flexible with sharp, accurate hands. That stuff can't be taught, so that's where the upside is.

Like I said though, he is a wreck technically as far as NHL goalies go. Everything you hear about him is that he has tremendous work ethic, is strong willed, motivated and receptive to coaching, so that's a good sign as far as him being able to realize that upside. If a good goalie coach were given a couple years with him to rework the fundamentals of his game (at the AHL level where he could get a lot of starts) he would probably be a fantastic NHL goalie.

As far as what about him needs work technically, he needs to work on when to use a super low wide stance versus a more upright stance, proper gap with the net and shooter on break-aways and odd man rushes.

He also tends to challenge a little early, leaving him open to back door goals or dekes. If he improved as a first save goalie he would probably feel more comfortable waiting a little longer before challenging. That would in turn probably decrease how often he got deked or back-doored, which would in turn probably break him of always wanting to be in a super low, wide, laterally explosive stance (because he's deeper in his net so he can get to the far post without a huge push and is less likely to see as many back door attempts anyway). And to bring it full circle, not being in that super low stance all the time would in turn help him be a better first save goalie.

So it's really just a matter of a few bad fundamental habits that reinforce each other and force him to rely on his athleticism. If he could fix some of those issues I really think he's a wonderful talent.
Thanks for the report; that's a lot of good info there. I guess my question is, of the goals that he allows, is there a particular area (where the shot comes from) where he has a tendency to be deficient in? Is he lights-out on shots that come from outside the slot, or is he stout from distant shots and deficient in anything from in-close?

The reason I ask is because, in our case, we see Steve Mason in a similar way. He's freakishly athletic, but has a nasty tendency to allow first-shot goals. He's usually fine on shots that come from outside the slot, but if someone gets a shot away from that area, it's a 50:50 chance that it goes in no matter how set he may be.

And to go further with that, Mason is a goalie who erupted as a starter (and Calder Trophy winner) without a goalie coach.

Quote:
You're right, Mr. Howson has really taken it to us in trades.
Everybody's happy with the trades, I think. Philly got rid of their headache and added two excellent pieces, Los Angeles got a pouting malcontent who did a 180 as soon as he arrived, and Columbus has Jack Johnson and a future 1st-rounder.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote