View Single Post
Old
06-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
A Then comes the Pittsburgh era, where you can totally question the fact that once he's out, they win the Cup. Yet, he brought them to 2 games from a cup. A team that with Olczyk was at the bottom of the league. And I didn't checked that, but it seems that his actual agent, said that Therrien had to deal with a lot of key injuries the year that he got the boot while Bylsma was able to get all those guys back or something. Is that accurate? Don't know. Didn't check.
It's very true, actually. Gonchar was injured from the start of the season, and the Pens' transition game and powerplay were pretty awful. He came back right around Therrien's firing, and put up 19 points in the 25 games he played. It kind of reminded me how the Pens' looked this year with Letang out (i.e. not very good).

The cup was won very much with Therrien's system in place. Bylsma just opened it up a bit, and now that he's had time to implement his own system completely, I actually wish he hadn't and took a few more pages out of Therrien's book. Our down-low zone defensive system is terrible.

MT definitely did a lot of good things while he was in Pittsburgh (like turn Brooks Orpik into an actual defensemen). He got a lot of calls from players thanking him after they won the cup, and Sid was the first to call to congratulate him on getting hired.

Tasty Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote