View Single Post
Old
06-06-2012, 04:11 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
By becoming more of a traditional PF, which his off-season workout regime should help with. Backes and Arnott both scored the majority of their goals by planting their big butts in front of the goalie. Stewart wasn't able to do that in this system because he was consistently a step behind the rest of the play. If he really does get his conditioning level up to where he can keep pace with the rest of the team, he will be able to crash the net like Backes does; and Stewart has already proven that he is just as good, if not better than Backes in front of the net. If the goals are coming for Stewart, the rest of his points will also.
I guess what I'm saying is this. I think he wouldn't have had the numbers he had in Colorado if they hadn't had such an ole defense and needed to win games 9-5 like that one game where he killed us. That's why they traded Shattenkirk and aimed for EJ – so many offensive D, so few defensive D. And I think they realized that Stewart's numbers were inflated by that run-and-gun system. He'd put those same numbers up on a team like Toronto or Ottawa but never on a team like the Kings or Blues as the Blues are currently constructed.

Maybe hiring a nutritionist and ok for serial really trying this time he'll have a big rebound year, but just objectively, the odds are against it. Because his two way play is poor, he really has to put up over .7 PPG to justify a top six role on this team; Oshie and Steen at .65-.68 are far more valuable given all their other attributes that Stewart lacks and will continue to lack even IF he becomes a more effective rebound cleaner. That means Stewart needs to put up 58 or more points to justify being a top six player in St. Louis. If he's not doing that, really, what's so bad about salvaging value? It also means he has to double his production or else he's a 3.25M third liner on a budget team with other valuable options riding the pine because of the glut.