View Single Post
Old
06-06-2012, 03:30 PM
dulzhok

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
I agree with 95% of your arguement. Just a few comments though.

When did Poile only offer Weber 4.5 mil? If you're talking about that's what he requested in the arbitration hearing, everyone lowballs there. The GM says a much lower than fair value, players says higher then fair, and they agree on a middle price. That's just how it works. I'm sure Poile offered something much bigger before arbitration.

Poile traded for rentals, yes, and he kept Suter, yes. In hindsight, he shouldnt have done that, because we didnt win the cup. At the time, he did what he had to for us to have a shot to win it all.

If we had traded away Suter and lost to Detroit, the same people who are saying "WHY DIDNT WE TRADE SUTER" would be saying "Come on Poile, keep Suter and we have a shot at the cup instead of a first round exit." Hindsight is 20/20
A GM's job is foresight so it's only fair to judge him in hindsight. When Suter wouldn't sign an extension last summer, it was a pretty good indication of where this was headed.

Taking a player to arbitration almost always damages player relationships. I realize Poile's 4.5m offer in arbitration was a tactic, but when Poile invests time an energy in explaining why he's only worth 4.5m, how do you think that makes Weber feel?

Honestly, I have no idea why took Weber to arbitration. I think it was a fear based moved from Poile because he screwed up with Scott Stevens years ago in Washington. In reality, we should've WELCOMED an offer sheet for Weber because we could've then likely matched it.