View Single Post
Old
06-06-2012, 04:25 PM
mirimon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I don't understand why anyone wants to sign Wideman. If you thought Carle was a bad defender, Wideman is even worse. The Flyers already have good puck movers with Timonen, Gustafsson, Coburn and Meszaros. They need someone who is mean and tough to play against on the blue line.
Agreed. Much rather re-sign Carle than go with Wideman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Coburn was a good puck mover when he got to Philadelphia. People seem to forget that his first season as a Flyer, he scored 36 points, so he knows how to handle a puck. Over the past few years, he's been asked to take on a more defensive role. I'd have no problems with Coburn being asked to be a puck mover again now that he's got a guy like Grossmann playing next to him.

Gustafsson has shown great promise as being a puck carrier. His wrist injury that he suffered killed any momentum he had going. With that being said, this is a very important year for Gustafsson coming up. If his puck carrying ability really starts off well to begin the season, then I can see his confidence soaring and really becoming a stalwart on the D. If for some reason or another he handles the puck like a hot potato or becomes completely overwhelmed by things, then he's as good as gone.

Anyways, I think there's a lot of untapped potential in Gustafsson and Coburn always had puck carrying capability. For some reason, that aspect of the D doesn't worry me at all.
I agree again. Coburn has focused a lot on strict defense when he's been paired with Timonen. He was a lot more active when Grossmann came over, and he has it in him to play that kind of game as well. Depending on how we come out of the UFA season, I could see them reuniting the Timonen-Coburn pairing though, and have Grossmann be the steady dman on a third pairing with either Borudon or Gustafsson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Depending on the salary cap and CBA...

Hartnell - Giroux - Briere
vanRiemsdyk - Schenn - Voracek
Simmonds - Couturier - Read
Gaustad - Talbot - Wellwood

Suter - Carle
Timonen - Meszaros
Coburn - Grossmann

Bryzgalov

...is more than just possible.
I doubt Carle will sign for a 4m cap hit (unless it's a really, really long contract).

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote