Thread: Value of: Mike Green to Edmonton?
View Single Post
Old
06-06-2012, 08:41 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
You want to know what isn't apt. Comparing a legitimate star player (who btw just had a terrific WC while being healthy all year) to a player who never really established himself in the NHL. Zoidberg talks of Fehr having his career derailed but when was it ever on the rails? He had one decent year (39pts), but that was on a team that scored 313 ****ing goals, and that placed him 9th on the team in scoring. Also just because one player has had trouble recovering from an injury doesn't mean that another player will suffer the same fate. Hemsky didn't reinjure his shoulder this year, and hasn't reinjured his other shoulder in the two years since. Correlation does not equal causation, which is to say nobody can say why Fehr has failed and nobody can guareentee how Hemsky's shoulder will hold up.

BTW i played QB in football and i played hockey and i can tell you that a QB puts a lot more strain on his shoulder than a hockey player. Sure the shoulder is used differently but Brees had a more severe injury, and should still be prone to shoulder faliure no different than Fehr if it really is supposedly damaged for life. I can't tell you how sore my healthy shoulder would get after throwing footballs for an hour or two. The Brees example also brings up another interesting point, do you know why people thought he might never be the same? Because his type of injury has ended careers, thats why. What that means is, like i said earlier, no two players are sure to suffer the same fate even if the injury is the same. Just because one person had trouble recovering doesn't mean the same will be true for another.

Comparing football players to hockey players in terms of recovery is no less apt than comparing Eric Fehr to Ales Hemsky. Both need to be taken with a grain of salt, as there is relevance but neither is anything close to a definitive point. I know the average HFer figures they know more than NHL teams, but Hemsky was resigned at 5 mill because there were obviously doctors (i.e. experts) who were willing to vouch that his shoulders should hold up. NHL teams don't just throw millions of dollars away on a whim, there is obviously some evidence that suggests Hemsky should be able to make a full/near full recovery.
Nobody gives a **** if Hemsky played well in the WC.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote