View Single Post
Old
06-07-2012, 10:01 AM
Son of Donegal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Brief reference to Florek and Ferlin on TSN`s Off Season Game Plan here, as someone who hasn`t had the chance to watch/see either, could someone provide me with a bit of insight as to their strengths/weaknesses etc......much appreciated, love Florek`s size, hardly tells the story though

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=397742

Thank You
I watched both of them at last year's development camp...so it was a while ago, but here are my notes.

Florek
Strengths - Great size, projectable frame and good wingspan. Good puck control and a very hard accurate shot that he can release from anywhere. The Spooner, Ferlin and florek line was the best line during the scrimmages. Florek scored a few goals from the slot, roofing the puck over Volden's shoulder. He has good straight line speed and is effective on the rush.

Weaknesses - Not very agile. Has a bit of a lumbering stride and won't win any stickhandling competitions. Could be more physical...though he is very good in the corners.

Ferlin
Strengths - Very effective in the corners. Strong lower bodey makes him hard to knock off the puck. Wins most puck battles and can maneuver in tight to make a play in traffic. Has excellent hockey sense in the offensive zone and seems equally adept at scoring and playmaking. Deceptive speed despite an awkward skating stride.

Weaknesses - Not sure about his top end speed or one on one skills. Needs to pay more attention in the defensive zone. Could work on getting his shots off earlier.

All this being said...I like both of them as prospects. Not bad at all for late round picks. Of the two, Ferlin definitely has a better shot at a top 6 role...but Florek might be in the NHL sooner with his size and oveall game. He's like a tougher, less elusive, less talented Blake Wheeler.