View Single Post
Old
06-07-2012, 11:18 AM
bogans

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I don't think Del Zotto will be traded unless it's for another offensive defenseman that is a surefire upgrade, or a defenseman that is capable of replacing his offense bumps him out of the top 4. I can't imagine either of those scenarios happening anytime soon.

Erixon is not going to come in and just replace Del Zotto in the top 4 without proving anything at the NHL level, that's not how it works. He has to show that he can be a more productive player than Del Zotto and earn that right. Have we not learned anything from last year's training camp when half the board wrongly assumed that Erixon will beat out Del Zotto?
To be fair, I really think it is McDonagh who took DZ's spot if he were to get traded. The guy has offense that is yet to be seen and has the same lefty shot that DZ owns. DZ is clearly a second pairing D-man in this league and a PP QB. Problem is I think McDonagh is a first pairing D-man in this league and a PP QB who will play on the second pair due to Marc Staal being a freak of defense. DZ either plays on his off wing where he is totally ineffective on offense and especially defense or he plays on the third pair and is a waste of talent. I want them to be deep and like DZ as a Ranger, but its kind of silly to NOT trade the guy based upon what he can probably bring back in return.

With either Schultz (if Sather gets him, which he should) or Erixon primed to take the second line RD spot and provide a righty shot from the point on the PP, the Rangers have got their top 4 future defense lined up. The rest will be filled in with some combination of McIlrath (who really could provide something none of the other guys do and a physical specimen), Erixon/Schultz, free agent/Bickel/Stralman/Eminger.

I absolutely loved the New York Rangers of 1991-1992, my favorite team of all-time, but I don't think they would've won the cup without trading Turcotte, Amonte, Weight, Patrick, and others who I wanted to be Rangers their entire careers. By the same token, turn Dubi and DZ into a Bobby Ryan (my first choice) and it goes a long way towards transforming this team into a team that not only COULD win, but SHOULD win. Hopefully Slats gets that, I think he does.