View Single Post
Old
06-07-2012, 02:10 PM
The Gnome

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Apples and Oranges. A worker can leave at any point, probationary period or not. The probationary period, in Alberta anyways, allows the employer to terminate an employee without just cause, and therefore not have to pay out severence. Very very few companies risk contractual agreements, and most contracts are geared so the employer can opt out whenever possible.

The NHL is like a bad economy. There's really nowhere else to get a job except to work for the person who hired you. I look at playing in the NHL like a 16yr old making 22 bucks an hour working in Prince George, B.C. If you have a good boss, there's not a lot to complain about because there's a 100 thous of teenagers willing to take your job from you.

There's a reason a player doesn't pull these stunts very often; if nobody will hires them, they're screwed. Take Ludwig Rensfeldt for example. Who's going to draft this guy? If he wants to bury himself, then so be it.

And then there's the comparison of the NBA and their problems. Where players jump ship to go to New York, L.A, Boston, and a few others, leaving teams like Washington, Charlotte, New Orleans, Cleavland and Sacramento in the dust. Well New Orleans and Cleavland were recently a big team, but couldn't build their teams right. Sacramento was a team back in the day too. If you don't build properly, don't blame the players for not wanting a better job. Private companies have problems keeping workers too. That's the real nature of things.

Like Glen was saying, it doesn't happen too often. I wonder myself why any player would want to play for the Flames and **** when the fans are so quick to run them off. And now the fans think they should be slaves and earn their time to the NHL. They do earn it. They've sacrificed a lot to to get to the highest level and they deserve some rights.
I just don't agree with you, what you are suggesting creates an entitelment mindset.

These players work hard to get to where they are, but so does everybody else in the real world. Doesn't mean I can step out of school with a hard earned undergrad and decided exactly who I work for, how much I will make, benefits, etc...

These kids should feel greatful to get drafted by any team and be proud of the fact that a team deems them worthy enough to join their club. If you do not like your current situation, then shut up, pay your dues, and when the time comes you can re-negotiate.

It's not like ELCs earn chump change for their dedication to hockey. The draft should be about all teams getting a fair crack at solid talent coming into the league. Not about where some little brat wants to play because his daddy played there.

Fans are fans. If you are a professional athelete then part of your job requires that you have to deal with fans, the good and the bad.