View Single Post
Old
06-07-2012, 08:54 PM
MP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvete View Post
I was going to hold off on commenting on this topic but MP's reply really doesn't sit well with me.
The ginger bit was an attempt to be amusing--hopelessly ill-conceived and wholly regrettable in hindsight, but no harm was intended. I'd hoped that my Dumb American allusions to the Irish (a racialized "Other" in their own right) would have tipped people off to the fact that I was ************, and I chose not to use the sarcasm emoticon on the theory that, if one writes well enough, no such e-shorthand is required. Clearly, I did not write well enough.

If nothing else, I'm glad that it prompted a reply from someone with your perspective on the issue.

This isn't the first time someone has raised the question anent fostering interest in hockey and the Coyotes among Hispanics--some years ago, there was some thought given to bringing in Scott Gomez, who, in addition to being (at the time) a well-regarded center, might have been a boon in that regard.

There was just something about it that seemed transparent to me--phony in a way: "hockey isn't just for white people, and here's one of your own to prove it..." I'd hate to see the team resort to such a stunning degree of condescension in an attempt to garner more publicity, and I'd hate to see Raffi Torres (or anyone else) find himself in so humiliating a role as that.

Of course, that's not what Pho and rt are suggesting; they seem to be advocating a more organic approach that isn't so cynical. At the end of the day, my real fear is that the marketing people get it wrong, which would probably culminate in disaster. I do think something as straightforward as a Spanish-language radio broadcast, along with telecasts if possible, would be a good start.

There is something else I would like to ask:

The term "coyote" has been applied to those who smuggle humans into the United States. I've wondered at times if the team's name has caused any amount of discomfort among Hispanics on that basis. Does anyone have any experience one way or the other? Am I over-thinking things?

Edit: I see others have made the same connection. Would love to know more.

MP is online now   Reply With Quote