View Single Post
Old
06-07-2012, 10:03 PM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
I think that you mean "plethora". I disagreee with your assertion that they are short on NHL defensemen. A number of prospects appear to be NHL ready or nearly ready in my eyes.
Yeah, I got distracted and put the wrong word. Thanks for catching that and correcting.

I find this argument of players who have played in the NHL as being "NHL players" but I disagree with the assertion. It's really just a difference of definitions, but when I talk about a NHL player I am talking about someone that can play a regular shift for nearly 70-80 games a year. A guy that gets a cup of coffee is not a NHL regular...I guess that I what I should say instead.

Our defense is shallow with NHL regulars, but I will agree that the boys looked good off the farm last year and could be trusted with an extended call-up to see how they last during the season. Yandle, Klesla, OEL, Morris and Schlemko are the only NHL regulars in the lineup on the blueline. That looks fine as is, but how does a top 4 without Yandle, Klesla, or OEL look? Not what I want in my team. The defense is building and getting stronger.

You don't move pieces out until there is someone ready to take that spot. As it is now we have a top 4 of Yandle, Klesla, OEL and Morris. If you are moving any of those 4 guys you are doing so with the expectation that someone can come in and assume a top 4 role. At this point I have not seen that in Summers, Stone, Gormley or Rundblad. Typically you will see that for a good part of a season before a move is made. This is similar to how when Maloney traded Upshall he said that Boedker's play made it possible to make that move. It may have been a bit premature, but I'd do that deal for Klesla every day of the week and twice on Saturday.

What's more likely is that one of Summers, Stone, Gormley or Rundblad will show their worth in 2012-2013 and it will spell the end of Derek Morris in 2013-2014 (if there is a taker).

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote