View Single Post
Old
06-08-2012, 06:19 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckOutHere View Post
What exactly happened to this guy? Thought he was great in NJ, then he had that injury in his walk year and was never quite the same. A product of that teams system perhaps? Or was there a drop off in talent in general?
He was great in NJ. For much of last season he was very good on the Pens too - just not really the kind of player we needed. Basically we bought the wrong type of player after having already gotten Michalek in that free agency. For lovers of advanced statistics/CORSI, Martin has been demon for most of his career.

This season we've had all our top4 D-men except for Letang play well below par. Guys like Michalek and Orpik were hardly better than Martin, and ultimately I believe it comes down to a crappy defensive system and the defenders on the Pens not being very complementary on the pairings. Martin has always been a non-physical anticipation kind of player and never been an offensive behemouth. So you gotta pair him with someone who can help him out physically, but most the time he played with Michalek who is a shut down D-man who is also non-physical. It was better with Letang, but that duo suffers some with size, and when they were together Mickalek and Orpik were simply rough together.

Individually speaking, Martin is a top pairing D-man in the right scenario. I have no doubt about that. For instance if Nashville cannot retain Suter, Martin will be dynamite with Weber.

But this is not to say that I'd be expecting a major return at all. I just think GM's will have a longer memory than simply this past season.

Last edited by Tender Rip: 06-08-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote