View Single Post
Old
06-08-2012, 09:15 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes96 View Post
Just to clarify. The Generals website states left wing and shoots left. This deal won't happen. He's not needed plus it would give us our third OA and tap Reid won't tie his hands this early. We can add another OA later in the season if needed. Plus wasting bottom six ice time on another "tough guy" is a waste. We should be using it to develop our younger players for next season
While I do agree with much of what you say here, it has to be remembered that Pelino/Reid stated we didn't have enough veteran presence and depth last season. With Cornel, Betzold, Pierog, Thompson and Maguire all on the team and playing in the bottom 6 in some capacity (perhaps Hatcher is in there too), it wouldn't be the worst thing to have another veteran there.

Whether we do it or not, I think we'll be fine. I am all for letting the younger kids play which would certainly help going forward as they would gain that valuable experience and be better for it in the coming years, but it never hurts having another veteran on the lower part of the forward depth chart. Also, if Mathers goes down to injury, it would be nice having another veteran there with those young kids who can provide a physical presence and add an element of toughness. I myself would like Sabourin because I like big, physical, tough teams and he would really help improve that in our forward ranks.

Whether it happens or not, we'll see. I do tend to agree it would be a good idea to keep the OA spot open in order to give us options throughout the season. But, given that seen em all called the Menard deal a few days ago before anyone, I wouldn't simply count him out in saying we may add Sabourin. You just never know.

All of this being said, we still have our 9th overall pick in the import draft, so we can't have too many players here or we won't have room for them all. I'm interested in seeing what Reid can do with that 9th pick whether it's dealing it or drafting a player. If we could get a good talented import to play on the 3rd line with Cornel and Betzold, that would be great too. We'll see how it all works out.

Last edited by Guerzy: 06-08-2012 at 09:34 AM.