Old
06-08-2012, 10:16 AM
Valrico Gold

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Here's the NY Post's color chart for the race with staff picks, too:

http://www.nypost.com/r/nypost/2012/...0608212536.jpg

Fountaine has reviewed past Belmont losers who won the first two legs; today the focus is on Big Brown:

http://www.nypost.com/f/print/sports...k5s5LUwtgWWtHP

From Spectacular Bid to Big Brown, freaky things have happened. Yesterday, he mentioned but rejected the notion that Bailey/Johnny V./Solis conspired against Smarty Jones and limited the blame to Smarty wanting to run and Elliott not being able to rein him at the right time.

The unexpected has become the norm. If I'll Have Another wins, everything will have to go right. Castellano could be a factor in this race.
Always enjoy the NY Post handicappers analysis. The best in NY.

No question the riders, led by Jerry Bailey, ganged up on Smarty Jones.
But that's making excuses for the lack of patience by Smarty's rider Stewart Elliott.

With Affirmed (1978), Steve Cauthen was mature far beyond his years. He was the dominant rider in NY at the time, and displayed great patience in waiting for Alydar to come to him.
Jean Cruguet (Seattle Slew, 1977) was on a superior animal. No questions about that.
Ron Turcotte (Secretariat, 1973) was also on a superior animal against a small field.

No such combinations for tomorrow's race.
And another problem for I'll Have Another. The forecast indicates a good chance of a wet track tomorrow. This may have a significant impact on the race (as usual).

My belief is that Dullahan (Castellano) is getting far too much backing from the handicappers.
I could be wrong, but slow closers usually fair poorly in the Belmont Stakes.

The picks for a track without standing water.
Union Rags
I'll Have Another
Street Life
Paynter

For a track with standing water.
Union Rags
Paynter
I'll Have Another
Street Life