Thread: Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XIII
View Single Post
Old
06-08-2012, 12:53 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

vCash: 500
For me, GMGM making tactical decisions is meddling. Dictating icetime or line combos etc., with some exceptions (obviously you'd expect him to have an opinion on how to handle injured players and prospects that should be taken into account).

But I think the GM has to be part of the identity-creation process. Trap or no trap, lax or strict, aggressive or passive, fast or slow. These are things that might only be possible with a certain type of lineup. That's not meddling, that's his job.

If he told DH to run some version of the trap, that wasn't meddling. I think it was the wrong decision given the makeup of the roster, but it wasn't meddling. That's a question of strategy. If he told DH not to forecheck in certain situations and told him to try to force the play to certain parts of the ice, or told him to use certain players on the PK and certain players on the PP etc., that's meddling. Those are tactical decisions that might have to change on a day-to-day basis and are for the coaches to decide.