View Single Post
Old
06-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Lshap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
No one called Martin bad so I don't even know why it's being brought up. I'm pretty sure the argument is, the team was not good and was not going to make the playoffs with or without Martin. Kriss E and the other posters can spin the stats however which way they want. The fact of the matter is the Habs won 3 games in their last 10 with him. They were also 3 points out while having played more games than everyone they were chasing

L to Philly
OT Loss Pitt
L to Anaheim
SO Loss San Jose
W LA
SO Loss Columbus (worst team in the league)
SO Loss to Vancouver
W NJ
W Islanders
L Philly
L Jersey

That's 3 wins in 10 games. Not to mention the blown leads in fantabulous Martin fashion.

The team was in 12th frigging place 3 points out of 8th and every team ahead of them had 2-3 games in hand.

These are all FACTS!

The team did worse with Cunney, no one is denying that (but people also deny the **** storm around the team along with injuries and trades). So I'm not sure what people are trying to expose here.
First of all, plenty of people around here called Martin a bad coach -- over and over and over again -- mostly because they hated his style and his on-camera personality. Second, on December 15 there was no reason to believe we wouldn't make the playoffs. We were a perennial playoff team that had almost completely recovered from our horrible start and were heading UP the standings, not DOWN. Of course we can only guess what might have been. But let's not forget:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue
+ We have to look at the injury list + lack of depth on the bottom lines and experience on D.
This is exactly how I see it. Zero depth, one million injuries. Again, I'm just offering an opinion, but it looked like Martin could've built on the slight momentum we had, kept the team together while we recovered and pulled us into another 7th or 8th place finish. Would we have gone far in the playoffs? No. So you can argue it was best to finish last and get this upcoming #3 pick. But I think this season is a perfect example of how big a factor strong coaching is. IMO, like him or hate him, Martin's experience as an NHL coach would've taken us much further.

That said, I don't hold anything against Cunneyworth, who was given the wrong job for the wrong reasons, at the wrong time. Sadly, he was placed in a no-win position, which is exactly what we got.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote