Thread: Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XIII
View Single Post
Old
06-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Grudy0

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
For me, GMGM making tactical decisions is meddling. Dictating icetime or line combos etc., with some exceptions (obviously you'd expect him to have an opinion on how to handle injured players and prospects that should be taken into account).
I wish I could say this was true, but...

I recall that 24/7 episode where Shero and Bylsma were having their discussions about the grading of players' performance. I think the GM's nowadays have some say in the gameday makeup of the team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
But I think the GM has to be part of the identity-creation process. Trap or no trap, lax or strict, aggressive or passive, fast or slow. These are things that might only be possible with a certain type of lineup. That's not meddling, that's his job.

If he told DH to run some version of the trap, that wasn't meddling. I think it was the wrong decision given the makeup of the roster, but it wasn't meddling. That's a question of strategy. If he told DH not to forecheck in certain situations and told him to try to force the play to certain parts of the ice, or told him to use certain players on the PK and certain players on the PP etc., that's meddling. Those are tactical decisions that might have to change on a day-to-day basis and are for the coaches to decide.
That in itself is the chicken-and-egg question: where do the duties (and which duties) of the coach fall under the watch of the GM?

Statistical analysis? Hunter couldn't have brought that here, so it was here and developed while Boudreau was here, if not earlier.

My concern? We have a problem with neutral-zone transition and moving the puck end-to-end, as well as the power play. Statistical analysis doesn't really play into it; that's a function of team philosophy and strategy. Therefore, our main moves need to be around functioning PMD's and a system that stops defenses from setting up a trap.

Does this mean we keep Green and Wideman? Does this mean we let go of Semin?

And all things being equal, which coach fits that type of bill?

At least I can hope for the third line of Hendricks/Beagle/Chimera. Beastly third line if there ever was one.