View Single Post
Old
06-08-2012, 06:19 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredBrathwaite View Post
not yet schwatz can. he is going to need to develop his speed, size, strength, and playmaking ability to match the NHL's intensity. this isn't college hockey.
I think he can do it but he needs to show more ability to do it before we consider moving Perron. What if Schwartz' size (people say he has speed but I think his speed is average and that he's more shifty than fast) doesn't allow him to be as effective as the lower levels where he dominated (it's more than just college btw, he was the best playmaker on Canada's roster at WJC by a wide margin so he can perform among his peer group). There's been some thinking out loud about parting with Perron for one of these critical pieces and my pushback on that is that until we know Schwartz' top end hockey sense and playmaking skill can supplant McDonald's as he gets late in his career (will be 35 at the end of this year and has had major injury issues), we can't trade the one guy in his young prime who also happens to be easily the most accurate goal scorer on the team. Or, we could, but now we've made a hole to fill a hole.

My point about Berglund was that if he is consistently strong from the getgo this year then there's less need for a "true #1" center. If Backes and Berglund can produce at a 55-60 pt clip while providing strong defense then we can still look for a deal for a center but we're in really good shape. Another year wher Berglund puts up ~40 points and yeah, we need another top-two center without a doubt.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote