View Single Post
Old
06-09-2012, 01:01 PM
zz

vCash: 500
I guess we all need something to talk about, even it's completely baseless and will never happen...

A straight up Yandle / Staal swap is a tough call.

On one hand you've got a very good yet unbelievably soft offensive d-man who's shown serious commitment to your franchise and is arguably our first home-grown good story since Doan. According to his play last season, even if he doesn't bounce back his salary is only inflated by maybe 15-20%, far from an albatross.

One the other we have a center who might not have proven yet to be top-line quality on the top half teams would very probably be our best centerman. His style of play would fit our system. But it's a gamble. He could very well change his mind, hate Tippett, and bolt a year from now.

With OEL, Gormley and Rundblad coming up, I do believe that the trade would make a better team on paper. But at what cost? Dumping our drafted assistant-captain a year after signing him, after our first WCF ever, with nothing to really complain about would send the wrong message to our players IMO, and would negatively affect the team's pack mentality. I'm concerned it would bite us in the ass in a bad way.

We've achieved something this season that's really hard to accomplish - a whole team effort, with every single player buying into the system and playing for each other. Why risk ruining that?

zz is offline   Reply With Quote