View Single Post
Old
06-10-2012, 09:49 AM
Prussian_Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
I'd say Gleason's value is greater than Stewart right now so Blues should be adding the pick.
I'd say you're wrong; a 24-year-old forward with back-to-back 28-goal NHL seasons under his belt is still far more valuable than a 29-year-old defenseman with minimal scoring upside, even if the forward just had a 15-goal season while playing in a style that absolutely does not maximize his strengths.

And before anyone says, "well, then why not just keep Stewart?" First of all, that's definitely an option, and secondly, if Stewart is traded, it will be because management has decided that he just will not be able to adapt his game to the style that Hitchcock prefers.

It's the more defensive style that Hitchcock preaches, that was the direct cause of Stewart's drop in production. Stewart is more effective in a more wide-open, run-and-gun type of offense, which the Blues do not play and will not be playing as long as Hitchcock is the coach.

Stewart's and Gleason's contracts are just about a wash ($3-3.5 MM range for each), so it should be the 'Canes adding -- and not all that much, I'd say a third round pick or a very high fourth-round pick -- in order to equalize the differences in age and output.

Last edited by Prussian_Blue: 06-10-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote