View Single Post
Old
06-10-2012, 10:21 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

vCash: 500
I know it's probably not even worth it to discuss guys at the top, but I've been watching some broadcasts of junior players and I have to say...Yakupov's not that impressive. I would definitely rate Galchenyuk higher than him.

Yakupov's an elite offensive talent like everyone's been saying. He's a 360 player with the puck on his stick, who can swerve, dangle, shoot, and fire a pass at the drop of a hat. But he's only engaged when he has the puck on his stick. When I look at my first overall, I don't want a guy with flaw(s). He just doesn't have the aura of a cornerstone. Yakupov's weak as a winger guarding the point in his own zone, he's prone to turnovers, and even his rushes (which are part of his 'strong' suit) are frantic and not mindful of his four other teammates on the ice. This guy will get his points in the NHL, but I don't think he will turn out to be the player people are projecting.

Galchenyuk looks a bit like Malkin. He's defensively responsible though not immune to d miscues. He's a triggerman on the point for the powerplay, he always finds himself around the puck. He makes smart decisions with the puck and can start and finish a rush on his own, while keeping his support from his forwards.

I love Galchenyuk's swagger. He doesn't go 100 miles an hour like Yakupov, but the kid is smooth, rangy, strong on the puck, and precisely skilled. All of his movements are economical, but with a high degree of skill.

Next up, is confirming Rielly is the kid I think he is. Missed alot of the season with an injury, but came to the combine ripped. Not very typical of a 17-18 year old puckrusher, and one out with injury at that, which is exciting..

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote