View Single Post
Old
06-11-2012, 07:39 AM
Frankie Spankie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
Bergeron scored 39 his first full season back. Crosby scored 37 points in 22 games last year.
That wasn't my point, my point was he could suffer an even more severe concussion. Every hit to the head leaves less in the tank and makes you more vulnerable for the next hit. He seems fine now, but who's to say how he will recover from another concussion if he gets one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
How does this change if he signs a 2 year contract or a 10 year contract?

Even if he signs a 2 year contract, then gets concussed just before he's up for a new deal, you can bet he'll still get offers for $9m when he returns.

Either way, Pittsburgh wants Crosby until he's old enough to retire. All other concerns are secondary-- and rightfully so.
I'm not arguing the price of the contract, it would be a great value to get one of the top players in the league for ~2/3 of the league maximum, I'm just arguing the length for a guy who is still coming off concussion issues. Maybe if he was playing for 3 years since his last concussion, I would be more comfortable with giving a player like him a long contract but a player who only played ~20 games last season because he was recovering from a concussion is risky. Besides, if this story is true, it's obvious he wants to stay in Pittsburgh so it shouldn't be an issue resigning him when a short contract goes up.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote