View Single Post
Old
06-11-2012, 11:57 AM
Haute Couturier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
I don't want Nash, but a lot of baloney arguments are getting thrown around against him.

-At 29, odds are that he's past his physical prime as a hockey scorer. But that does not necessarily mean that he's past his statistical prime if he finds himself in a more favorable offensive environment.

-The important thing about team quality is not the raw point totals of certain players on the team. It's about being able to achieve the most one-ice efficiency throughout as much of the game as possible. Adding Rick Nash to a deep forward roster would obviously serve that end (at least in the short term).

The main problem with this trade idea begins and ends with the fact that it's a capped league.

Wanting out and getting run out would be different things, no? Pitkanen's wish was granted by the Flyers because of his deteriorating play.

If JVR is really delaying his surgery just to avoid a trade from the Flyers, his situation does not appear similar to Pitkanen's at all. Furthermore, I see no reason to believe that the Flyers rumored willingness to deal him is generated by sensitivity to the wishes of "the fans".
Nash could certainly have another statistical peak year, but it's not realistic to expect him to evolve into an 80-100 point player on a consistent basis at this stage of his career. Nash is already showing signs of a decline.

Nash doesn't help the team achieve the most on ice efficiency. We're already the 2nd best offense in the league. There's not much room for improvement in that area of the game.

As you mention the biggest problem is the cap. JVR could be a 30+ goal scorer for $3.6M less than what Nash makes. Nash hurts our cap efficiency.

Agree that wanting out is different, but I also provided an example where a team flat out admitted to moving a player because of the fans' attitude towards him. I don't think this rumor deal has anything to do with the fans, but if he becomes another whipping boy it could have an impact on their decision making in the future.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote