View Single Post
Old
06-11-2012, 02:15 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Lagoon View Post
Kind of odd considering Koivu's line was usually matched up vs. the other teams top line.

Checking/scoring line doesn't mean much on the Wild, as they try to have all lines play a responsible 2 way game.

There's nothing that says the 3rd line couldn't be a scoring line provided they had the talent to score; the defensive responsibility is always going to be a requirement.

The pure checking line ceased to exist on this team once Wes Walz hung 'em up.
as Jarick was implying last year was far from ideal and with all the AHL (and not good AHL at that) callups it's pretty hard for a coach to get the team running the way he wants it. Clutterbuck does have the ability to score on the third line by creating his own chances. It's not the way a lot of people would prefer we score but it's still more than a lot of the guys on our roster can manage. Koivu continues to be matched to top lines because he's simply the best defensive forward we have. We didn't have the guns to score last year so the plan was to try to keep the other guys from scoring. Our bottom six was great the beginning of the year playing crash and bang and getting opportunities because of great puck support and hustle, not cycling and possession.

As far as what I think Yeo wants I'm not stating it as fact--I thought i remembered a quote somewhere but i don't have the faintest idea where I'd look it up. I really gotta start archiving all this. I'm sure it was from a Russo article somwhere way back when he was hired.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote