View Single Post
Old
06-11-2012, 04:17 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by None Shall Pass View Post
Grey's is good for cheap drunk hot dogs. S'mac is mac and cheese and, admittedly kitschy, but there's aren't a ton of non-chain mac and cheese places really anywhere, so it's got that going for it. That cart on 53rd and 6th is legendary for all the right reasons. Well worth it. I try to go once a year.

Grey's is no better than the $1 hotdogs as The Rock (i.e. cheap as you said, and uhhh... really not good), SMAC is tasty and okay to do once, I wouldn't go back though, and I certainly wouldn't recommend a tourist with just 3 or 4 days in NYC go there!

The cart on 53rd and 6th I disagree with you hugely though. It's not significantly different from the 200 other Halal carts all over NYC. There's nothing special about it, and certainly no better than a Halal cart in Jackson Heights (where the "real" middle eastern food is). If you try to hit that cart once a year, you should just hit any other Halal cart. Some of these places get famous because they were in a movie or TV show, and then they take on a life of their own. Magnolia Bakery is another example (Sex & The City), overrated. And there's a decent cafe in my hood that is still making a healthy living off of all the women who love You've Got Mail (which also featured Gray's Papaya).

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote