View Single Post
Old
06-11-2012, 07:38 PM
mitchy22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Tavares's cap hit is $5.5m and his actual take home will be $4m.He signed after Stamkos signed for $7m per.

Pay Parenteau Tavares type money?

Oh,**** no.

Someone else can have that honor.
I've been saying this all along. JT is the upper limit on the Islanders for now. PA Parenteau isn't going to be the guy to break it. A legit 1A center or top-2 d-man worth their salt in the open market would be required to come close or jump JT's salary. (Though I imagine the salary cap requirement might have them add a defender or two who are closer than they should be to that level of pay.)

If the Islanders are going to throw $5.00 million at a player, it shouldn't be PA Parenteau. If they do, I'll be pissed.

He's not a good skater. He isn't big. He isn't a goal scorer. He's a complementary playmaking winger who competes hard and can show off his skill when given enough time and space. That's not a $5.00 million player. His best skill is his stickhandling. Give him the length of the ice to get some speed and he'll keep the puck on a string into the offensive zone. That's truly his best ability.

This isn't to say that Parenteau won't fit in well in the right environment. Put PA next to a goalscoring center who can skate, play big, and get back to his own zone; do that, and he'll earn his paycheck. Give him ample PP time and he'll produce there.

PA isn't the answer for the current version of the Islanders 2nd line. He's replaceable at reduced cost by Kyle Okposo on the 1st line. KO has shown he can play well with JT and Moulson. (The line's best month all season came with KO on the line.)

The Islanders money is better spent elsewhere, even if they have to obtain a player via trade. They need a top-4, if not top-2 defender. If they're willing to spend $25 million over 5 years, then they should be aiming at different holes in their lineup. They should also be aiming at a player with better physical attributes than PA Parenteau. The Islanders aren't exactly the best skating or toughest lineup by any stretch of the imagination. This is a spot they need to upgrade to improve the makeup of the team. Even with KO defaulting into 1st line RW, it's a better mix for that line. It allows for dollars to be spent elsewhere.

...I beat this to death a while back. Give PA the player I mentioned above and he'll produce. Just don't expect him to do it on his own. PA will get his points. PA will also be slow to get pucks due to a lack of acceleration and natural skating ability, and will fall backwards on his ass more than any other player on your team. He'll finish his checks and he'll yap, but he isn't a big player. He'll gain the zone with the puck, but he'll need to be allowed to carry it more often than not. If you don't have a right side defender who can get shots to the net, then you'll be missing a lot of what PAP has to offer. (PAP's "go to move" is often to gain the zone and simply backhand it off the boards to the point. If you don't have a center who can back other players off, expect to see that play every single time.)

It also seems like PA's teammates like him. Maybe I missed a finer point here or there, but that's pretty much everything you need to know.

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote