View Single Post
Old
06-11-2012, 08:15 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

vCash: 500
Great work as usual, thanks for doing this feebs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Can you point me to the articles by any chance? I'm going to discount MS since he always criticizes our prospects in the AHL, but even orcatown last season reported over and over that Hodgson's defensive play was weak (and if anything he was harsher than I was).

I think it was the Rampage towards the end of the season (not the playoffs), not sure if it was their last game against them or the one before. I have it myself, it's just a matter of finding the exact shift. He loses a face-off in the defensive zone, then lifts the guys stick right after and steals the puck, plays it to the D, the D turns it over, then Schroeder once again checks that same guy, lifts his stick and pressures him out of the zone. It was an impressive shift because of the complete size mismatch.
MS seems to often talk in terms of absolutes when talking about prospects, though I could have remembered incorrectly. Not saying that it's wrong, since the odds are odds, and he's well-respected for his hockey knowledge. Other posters like you and thefeebster will take stats in perspective and put them in context. Call it biased rationalizing or being overly optimistic, but I like to think that our prospects aren't as bad as it's been suggested sometimes, and that a guy like Schroeder would produce more when put with better players in the NHL.

Orcatown's reports sound harsh sometimes, but I'm not going to judge since he's watched many of their games before, and I did agree with many of his game reviews when it came to the Canucks.

On a different note, the Sedins IMO could learn to do the same thing that JS learned, and that is to hound the puck right away as soon as you lose it. It's all part of being hard on the puck no matter what zone you're in. Would make them much, much more effective in tight contests and that aspect of their game - plus their defensive play in general - would put them over the top as very good two-way players. I've seen this with Kopitar these playoffs and it was all from Terry Murray developing his defense. If anything, I think AV gives them too much slack in that regard.

vanuck is online now   Reply With Quote