Old
06-12-2012, 07:20 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post
Shoulda traded him at the deadline and get a pick/prospect back
I agree and was going ballistic at the TD time.

Whatever anyone thinks of PAP in his entirety, the guy has had 53 and 67 points in his first two full NHL seasons and is heading into his prime.

It was CLEAR AS DAY that he was OBVIOUSLY going to at least test the free agent market.

Who wouldn't?

Seriously, who in their right mind would 'simply resign' with a bottomfeeder for reasons of loyalty or chemistry when he was staring at what may be not only his biggest payday ever, but likely his ONLY BIG PAYDAY.

There's no character issue here. There's no "the Isles aren't doing everything to keep him".

He's doing what every sane athlete would do in his situation.

The problem here for the Islanders is simple: If you're not making the playoffs and you have no guarantee that you can resign a guy, you HAVE to trade him at the deadline. You have to flip that into an asset. There's really no ifs, ands or buts to this. If you're an NHL GM in that position, you have to bite the bullet and move that guy. Get something and then open negotiations in July like every other team.

Snow surprised us all a bit with the quick resigning of Nabakov (a good thing), but PAP's upcoming market power is simply much stronger than Nabakov's in light of his position and the relative lack of 50+ point scorers to be had as UFAs this summer. He's a complimentary player, but boy would he ever look nice on a number of teams out there.

I can't even imagine what he could do if he signs with a club like Pittsburgh. The guy has hands and good offensive instincts and hustles a lot more than many would want to give him credit for.

I seriously doubt the Isles can resign him, but it won't be for lack of trying. The money might also be real good, but chances are that a more competitive team will be offering the same dough and better options.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote