Thread: Speculation: Controlling Kesler
View Single Post
Old
06-12-2012, 10:07 AM
FAMOUSfin

vCash: 500
Last years Kesler was a result of being able to pit Manny against the opposing teams top line to enable Kesler to victimize their 3rd and 4th lines + being a lethal weapon on a dominating powerplay which has suffered greatly from the loss of Ehrhoff.

Pahlsson could have fixed the first issue but Kesler's injury prevented him from going into beast mode. Through free agency this issue might be addressed by McClement if he can return to his old form. Goc would be a good trade target.

Another option for getting Kesler going again is to acquire a top 6 impact player so he can continue shutting down the opposing team's top line and continue to score GOALS GOALS GOALS.

If we can sign Schultz, our powerplay problems might be partially solved. Wideman would be the best free agent for our powerplay needs but I don't think paying him 4M+ to fix our powerplay is justified. Garrison (who I think is a better fit overall, just not on the powerplay) isn't the offensive defenseman that Ehrhoff was. Most of Garrison's goals come from blasts from the point whereas Ehrhoff knew when to roam around the zone, opening up new passing lanes in the slot for Henrik, and when to crash the net. My Garrison comparable is Salo. Ehrhoff's presence on the powerplay was attempted to be replaced throughout the year by playing different forwards on the point (Kesler, Burrows, Sedin). If we acquired a top 6 impact player such as Semin, we might be able to address this issue without signing an offensive defenseman.

FAMOUSfin is offline   Reply With Quote