View Single Post
Old
06-12-2012, 10:31 AM
kasper11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
More wary than paying $5 million/year to PA Parenteau?

I really don't feel like doing it again, but see if you can find the thread where I discuss how PA has scored many of points. How many secondary assists. How many points on empty nets and non-5-on-5 situations. It's not that PA can't produce, it's how he produces and against which teams. Also, going from memory, I'm pretty sure there was a 3 game scoreless drought before the change was made to put PA back to the top line.

Go look up the stats of our top line against the teams within our division. The teams we played the most. Outside of the Rangers, they're brutally bad. The Moulson-JT-PAP line didn't gain a single point against Pittsburgh all year. It's a subpar 5-on-5 hockey line. Against physically stronger teams our top line suffered. That was not the case with Kyle Okposo there.

Yes, I'll gladly take my chances with Kyle Okposo at a reduced cost. The line just makes more sense considering the attributes of all of the players (and it's still not perfect.)

I also don't think you should head into war with Bailey-Nielsen-PAP as your second line. PAP should be a stopgap at best for 2 years, and that's not the kind of term he'll be looking for. The Islanders also shouldn't pay a premium for such a player. The money is better spent on different players and elsewhere.

If John Tavares is not a PPG player and Moulson is not a 30+ goal scorer next year with Kyle Okposo on the right side, I'll gladly eat all of my words in this thread. Save it for posterity.

Mitch
I'm not necessarily advocating for bringing PAP back for a long term deal either, just giving my opinion that failing to bring him back or replace him, and just assuming that the young players will step up is a recipe for another lottery pick.

Right now, the top-6 includes Okposo, who hasn't shown he can score consistently or play a physical game consistently, Bailey, same thing only he has shown even less, Grabner who looked lost for most of last season and Nielsen who has never reached 50 points.

Say this for PAP, over the course of the season his worst month he got 8 points in 14 games. In 2010-11 he only had one month with less than 8 points. This is regardless of what line he was on. That is consistent scoring that the Isles don't have other than Tavares and Moulson.

With PAP's 67 points, the Isles finished 25th in scoring last year. Lets say you take him out and Okposo does step up. Or Grabner or Bailey. The Isles would finish roughly the same. Not good enough. They need to retain or replace PAP (and improve the defense) if they want to be a playoff team.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote