View Single Post
Old
11-27-2003, 09:16 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by quat
If you're going to be talking about the Oilers this season, wouldn't it make sense to talk about the Canucks this year as well?

I would have no trouble saying the Canucks are deeper at the moment than the Oilers, and still feel that's no slight at all towards Edmonton. They are in different stages of development. I would say with this crew, the Oilers are where the Nucks were a couple of years ago.

The Canucks are a better team than last years model, and I think their depth is pretty impressive. When you have players as skilled as Linden and Arvedson on your third line, you've got to be happy. Having said that... the Canucks will be a better team next year just because everyone, and especially the second line will be a year older.

Like a couple of posters here have pointed out, it's kind of early to be judging the stature of players who are expected to learn their rolls on the job. For example, Smyth playing with Thorton right now would be putting up big #s, and I doubt anyone would say he didn't belong there... but since he's playing with guys who haven't reached anywhere near what's expected of them, he doesn't really get that chance to shine. I look at the Oilers in two years, and almost every player (forward), has the chance of developing into the roll he now plays. Hemsky isn't a top line player now, but if he keeps developing, he will be in a year or two. Of course a lot of that is potential and there are hundreds of players who never reach theirs... so guarded optimism is always a safe way of judging ones team.

I've enjoyed reading this thread, as it pretty clear there are many here who know a lot of hockey.

Cheers
Oh, I agree quat. Good post. However, I haven't seen the Canucks much this year other than the game against the Oilers, so I wasn't going to make some idiotic assumption towards their depth. That's why I made a comment about them last season.

Quote:
It's called Centre Ice Package. Ever heard of it ?? And yes, the PPV games are included so put that in your pipe and smoke it. Just because I live in PEI doesn't mean I see less of the Oilers. Do you guys hang out with them in the dressing room or something ??
Of course I've heard of the NHL Centre Ice Package; I have it. I just find it a little odd that you would want to stay up and watch a team that isn't even your favorite. Not to mention the fact that you apparently watch Oiler games even when the Flames are playing. The only time I'll watch a Flames game is when they are getting killed. Other than that, I can't, partially because their announcer is an absolute homer (Roger Millions).

Quote:
Defense counts too. But that doesn't matter to the Oilers as they would rather lose 7-5 then win 1-0. That's their problem but scoring more goals does not make you a better team as you suggest. You think the Oilers are better than the Devils ?? No way !!

That's a typical Oilers fan. Only looking at GF and disregards GA. The Flames are only 3pts back with 3 games in hand. The Flames WILL finish ahead of the Oilers this year, just wait and see. If they don't, I'll never post on this board again. You have my word and the mods can hold me to it.
The Oilers would rather lose 7-5 than win 1-0? R i g h t. Forwards, especially the top six, are supposed to score goals. Of course, only a few on Edmonton's roster are on the + side when it comes to +/- right now mainly because the entire team is playing bad in their own end. The Devils play the trap, so take that into consideration before you make a sarcastic remark like that. Oilers hockey is the way the game should be played.

I only look at goals for and not the ones against? I guess you missed my post about defense being their number one priority. I would rather see the Oilers keeping their opponents at bay, but they haven't thus far this year with the exception of a few games.

Flames fans always say their team will finish ahead of the Oilers. Last year over at another board, a Flames fan went nuts when Drury was acquired and then went on about how Calgary would finish higher than the Oilers. Two years ago when Calgary started out as the hottest team in the NHL, their fans were shouting "Stanley Cup". And then, there was the Flames fan on the boards over at their official site saying that Calgary would win the Northwest Division this year.

By the way, thanks Allan.

Last edited by Vomiting Kermit*: 11-27-2003 at 09:20 AM.