Thread: Proposal: Leafs-Kings
View Single Post
Old
06-12-2012, 11:46 PM
gonnaneedsomewine

vCash: 500
I'm an LA fan and I'd do this in a heartbeat.

Ideally I'd probably prefer to get a young winger with some scoring upside, but I'd take Schenn for Bernier in a heartbeat. I've always felt Schenn has been vastly underrated and over-criticized.

Schenn will be 23 in November. He's barely scratching the surface of what he will be. His game has been picked to pieces in Toronto because they spent a top 5 pick on him and want him to be the next Pietrangelo or Subban or Fowler or Doughty. He's not that type of offensive threat but I absolutely love what he brings to the table in his own zone, from a physical standpoint, and in terms of upside.

He kind of reminds me of a young Brent Seabrook. Big and physical with some questions about his skating and offensive potential. Took Seabrook a few years to put it all together but now he's a great all around defenseman that many teams would love to have. I could see the same happening with Schenn.

LA could use another big physical young stud on D after dealing away Jack Johnson in the Carter deal. Mitchell and Scuderi have been EXCELLENT for this team but they are not getting any younger. Mitchell is 35 and Scuderi will be 34 in December, so even if Schenn is just more of a "stay at home" defenseman for the time being, that's fine.

Mitchell signed a two year extension, but how much longer can you expect him to log a ton of heavy minutes at the ages of 35 and 36 as his career is winding down? Rob Scuderi's deal is up after the 2012-13 season, and is it a wise investment to look into re-signing a guy who will be 35 in the upcoming season, especially with Dean Lombardi always talking about getting younger while getting better?

It'd be even better if Schenn was a left handed shot but that's not a deal breaker for me. Having him, Doughty, and Voynov all in their young 20's would be awesome.

As for Penner, it's important for LA fans not to fall in love with everyone after the Cup win. Yes, Penner upped his game in the playoffs and was a key part of the Kings winning the Cup, but he is someone I have NO INTEREST in bringing back.

Let's not forget that the guy was a dog for the better part of a year and a half, someone Sutter even called horsecrap, and likely only turned it on down the stretch in order to set himself up for a nice contract since he was a pending UFA. He's the type of guy that, if he gets a 4 year deal, will put it in cruise control and come into camp out of shape 3 out of the 4 years until he's in his next contract year. We do not need that at all.

I'd much rather go after Parise (obviously) or even Alexander Semin. I think a guy like Semin would flourish playing with a center like Kopitar or Richards, and would definitely help the power play. He wouldn't have to come to LA and be one of the "stars" that is over-scrutinized like he is in Washington. He'd add some speed and sniping that the Kings lacked during most of the regular season. Although I do wonder if he and Sutter would clash, I'd still kick the tires and see if you could sign him for a decent price after two disappointing seasons in Washington. The Kings still need some scoring on the wing going forward.

gonnaneedsomewine is offline   Reply With Quote