View Single Post
Old
06-13-2012, 05:45 PM
wej20

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halak Ness Monster View Post
Can anyone give me a scouting report on Jordan Staal? Pros and cons? Speed, shot, vision, hockey sense, etc.

I don't get to see a ton of Penguins games. Not having NBCSports as part of my cable package hurts.
I'll do my best

Size - he can be an absolute beast along the boards and on the cycle.
Skating - has a nice long stride
Speed - Can really fly when he gets up to speed
Acceleration - doesn't have the quickest first step
Shot- Heavy wrist shot which looked better this season, release could be quicker. Decent one-timer, heavy slapshot but he rarely uses it.
Pass - Not a guy who'll thread the needle but can makes some nice passes usually after he's worn a guy by controlling the puck along the boards.
Hockey Sense - Elite defensive and showed improvement with his offensive decision making.
Hands - Fairly good at potting pucks in close, his one on one skills looked better but still room to improve.
Vision - tends to play a simple game so It's hard to judge his vision.
Hitting - puts his body to good use but rarely crushes guys, I think he needs to get lower when he hits to lower his centre of gravity.
PK - Excellent PK guy, good stick and knows when to be aggressive and when to be passive. A threat short handed to.
PP - Very much a working progress on the PP, He's ideally the guy in front of the net or the spare forward. I don't see a future for him on the half board (not on a top unit at least)
Face-offs - Got to 51% and hopefully can build on that.
Leadership - Alternates an A with Orpik, seems like he's a good guy in the room.