View Single Post
Old
06-13-2012, 11:53 PM
My Sweet Shadow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
What makes this year's draft intriguing is that any of the NHL's 30 teams have a shot at landing the No. 1 pick.

Each team begins with three balls in the lottery barrel. For every playoff appearance in the last three years or No. 1 overall pick over the last four years, a team loses one ball.

With that scenario, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Columbus and the New York Rangers have the best chance of drafting Crosby. Each of those teams will have the maximum three balls in the lottery barrel while the rest of the 30 teams will have either two or one.
Even that description's a little misleading. You don't lose a ball "for every" playoff appearance or first overall. Essentially there's two criteria:

1) Missed the playoffs in each of the previous 3 seasons.
2) Didn't have the 1st overall selection over the last 4 drafts.

If you met both criteria, you got 3 balls.
If you made the playoffs only once OR had the 1st overall only once, you got 2 balls.
If you had two or more of any combination of those two (playoff appearances or 1st overalls), then you only got 1 ball.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26401

Thanks for starting the thread though; it'll definitely be useful with all this lock-out talk flying around.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote