View Single Post
Old
06-14-2012, 07:40 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
What the hell is skill? So Iginla isn't skilled, meaning he "has no talent with the puck", but Backlund is? You really, really lost me here. Matt Cullen is the 4th/5th best shoot-out guy in the league, but has more skill than Iginla? The shoot-out is a skill, face-offs is a skill, hitting is a skill, etc, therefore, I proposed guys who've demonstrating these shoot-out skills where you propose someone who hasn't demonstrated shoot-out skills. Backlund, Baestchi and Horak might be those guys, but ****, so might PL3 if he was given a chance.

I attempted to associate the shoot-out with the type of players, such as dangler, power forward, two-way player, etc., but I have no statistical evidence to make that claim. Nor do you. I certainly hope Feaster doesn't make his decisions on poor evidence.

P.S - Backlund couldn't beat a hog-tied goalie 1-on-1. Horak is still too early to say for sure, but hasn't indicated any better. Baerrschi maybe, but Baertschi is known to be a playmaker. And when i've seen Iginla this year, he's shown he can deke pretty well. He's completely changed his shoot-out execution.
Baertschi has proven to be very successful in shootouts at the junior level, but then again it is only juniors. I also find it extremely fascinating how Baertschi can go from a "sniper" in his draft year to a "playmaker" over the course of a single season. Clearly that speaks volumes about his all around skill level and ability to adapt his game around his teammates. He truly is an all around offensive threat.

As far as your suggestion for bringing in Christensen, I just don't see it. He is not suited to play a bottom six role at the NHL level, and is not skilled enough or consistent enough to secure a permanent top six spot either. He is your classic NHL tweener, and if we truly wanted to address the shootout troubles from last season, I am sure there are far better options out there. I would also like to say that I am personally not all that concerned about addressing that area as the results on a year to year basis fluctuate to such a large degree.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote