View Single Post
Old
06-14-2012, 09:20 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Jay is gonna get paid lol. He's good and I love the guy, but you shouldn't pay 4th liners what he is about to get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
I would love to see him back on the Blues...But not if he gets paid like we know he will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
jeebus I was thinking Slater and Campbell money at 1.6, thats the going rate for 4th line Cs
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I'm a McClement fan and I've always been ever since he came up with the Blues, so I'm not gonna talk bad about him.

I'm just gonna point out how you have terrible reading skills, and how you assume that I don't think McClement is good at faceoffs, when I clearly said he was good, he just isn't great. If people think they are signing someone who is great at faceoffs, they will be disappointed.

On nhl.com, he is 84th amongst centers. There were some outliers, so I could see him being around 60-70th best in the league. That means he should be your 2nd best faceoff man.

He is a very good penalty killer, but he isn't a vital piece. We lost him and we still have a great penalty kill. You can find other options that can do just as good of a job for A LOT LESS.
Yup....ALL of this. Blues fans get it, I'm not sure why Avalanche fans don't.

The Avs could just sign a guy like Jeff Halpern to play limited minutes on the 4th line for half as much and the drop-off won't be that significant.

I don't care how much the salary cap goes up, it's a bad idea to start paying 4th line player that much money when those guys are always available July 1st or through trades for 3rd and 4th round picks.

People want to put McClement in the same class as Gaustad but he's been top 10 in faceoffs the past three years in the league while McClement is always just a tad over 50%.

There's a reason why you don't see 4th liners with $2M per year salaries.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote