Thread: Proposal: Philly-Preds
View Single Post
Old
06-14-2012, 10:28 AM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
I agree to some degree here. Blum had a down year and most have him topping out as a top 4 D-man...where Mez is now. And yes...Horn is slightly better than Read but for sure the cap hit for Read is always attractive.
So if the pick was for a 2nd...then upgraded to a 1st if Suter signs...close to a deal?
The value is probably closer, but I doubt Nashville does it. I think they like what Hornqvist brings to the club.

Even if you drop read and Hornqvist, and leave it a Conditional 1st/2nd for Suter / Blum, I think they pass. They can't afford to open up two holes in their backline.

More to the point, there's really no reason for the Flyers to trade for Suter's rights. Speculation seems to suggest that he has little interest in large eastern markets and every intention of testing his UFA status. Why would any team, let alone one in a large eastern market, give up an asset to talk to him a week earlier, if he apparently has no intention of signing anywhere before July 1?

Mezsaros is a 4/5 defenseman. He can anchor a third pair or support a second, but he has struggled to anchor a 2nd pairing. Blum probably has 3-4 upside. Blum's age and contract make him more valuable, and I don't see any reason the Preds would make that swap, even if the Flyers added a second asset.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote