View Single Post
Old
06-14-2012, 11:38 AM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stej View Post
I'm starting to lean more and more towards just re-signing Enstrom if he's willing. If he's not willing, Chevy has to try turn him into a very good young forward prospect (preferably RW) and a 1st (preferably in 2013). Heck, throw in a 2nd from us to make that happen. The better the team we're trading with is, the better the young player will have to be to offset the probability that the pick will be later in the 1st round. I'd be somewhat willing to accept a lesser player if the team we're trading with has a legit chance to be a lottery team. There will be some serious stars drafted in the top 10 of the 2013 draft.

I know some people aren't excited about trading for futures, but it's been pretty well documented that I think we're still a season away from playoff caliber so I'm less concerned with this year. I'd rather ensure a stable base for the future.
I've been back and forth on Enstrom and whether or not I think it's better to keep him or deal him.

I think if I had my choice, and if Enstrom is willing, I would resign him. The reasons are that:

1) Winnipeg may rightly or wrongly have the reputation as a destination that no UFA really wants to go. It probably won't be as easy for us to possibly plug holes in our lineup via the UFA route. If we have a UFA of our own that is willing to stay and fits into the long term plan, it might make more sense to keep him. The old "a bird in the hand being worth two in the bush" thing.

2) Looking around at other forums here, there are multiple teams that have specific threads looking for a top LH D man. One way to look at that is to say that maybe we could get a lot for Enstrom then. The other way to look at it is, maybe there are not a lot of top LH D available, and if we deal ours we are going to be SOL trying to find another one.