View Single Post
Old
06-14-2012, 12:48 PM
Cliffy1814

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Schultz has played 3 years of college hockey in the WCHA. NHL lockout in the fall will allow Schultz to get whatever seasoning he needs in the AHL. Stop comparing him to Matt Gilroy. I have seen Schultz more than most people here and he is very good. The Rangers must like him if he is one of their top targets and he is probably their top target because he is 22 years old and will be a top D in the league. Those guys cost $4M when they reach arbitraton. The Rangers can offer him the max bonuses allowed and give him the best opprtunity to reach those bonuses than any other team playing with Staal or McDonagh.
If you have seen him quite a bit than I would value your opinion more than most.
Most fans catch the occasional game on ESPNU and have maybe seen him once or twice.

I am not comparing them as players as I've hardly seen Schultz play. I am comparing the hype though. Gilroy was smooth skating offensive defnsemen who was going to solve our PP QB problems. Free agent we had to have.

I read an article yesterday (I think it was on ProHockey Talk) speculating that several teams will guarantee Schultz roster spot and if you are not willing to do that, you likely won't be in the conversation.