View Single Post
Old
06-14-2012, 01:15 PM
GAGLine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy1814 View Post
If you have seen him quite a bit than I would value your opinion more than most.
Most fans catch the occasional game on ESPNU and have maybe seen him once or twice.

I am not comparing them as players as I've hardly seen Schultz play. I am comparing the hype though. Gilroy was smooth skating offensive defnsemen who was going to solve our PP QB problems. Free agent we had to have.

I read an article yesterday (I think it was on ProHockey Talk) speculating that several teams will guarantee Schultz roster spot and if you are not willing to do that, you likely won't be in the conversation.
Gilroy and Schultz are comparable in that they were/are both defensemen, both played in the NCAA and both free agents.

However, they are not comparable in several very important ways:

1) Schultz is 22. Gilroy was 25.
2) Schultz was a 2nd round pick. Gilroy was undrafted.
3) Schultz scored more than a PPG in both his sophomore and junior seasons. Gilroy didn't break out until his senior year and was never a PPG player.
4) Schultz has played defense all his life. Gilroy started out as a forward and switched to defense in college.

Schultz is much more comparable to Blake Wheeler than he is to Gilroy. And if he busts, so what? We aren't spending any assets to acquire him. Gilroy was an experiment that didn't work out, but the Rangers are no worse off now than they would have been if they didn't sign him. There is absolutely no downside to signing Schultz.