Thread: Eklund: JayBo to Philly or Montreal
View Single Post
Old
06-14-2012, 04:21 PM
The Gnome

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
My sense is that Giordano had surpassed Bouwmeester, no?

My post above didn't come off well. let me try again. On the Flyers board, I originally suggested something like...

Mezsaros
2012 1st (20th)

for

Bouwmeester
2012 2nd

I then realized that Calgary doesn't own their 2nd--and so I deleted the post. Perhaps it would work for Calgary's 3rd, or a future 2nd?

Regardless, the logic is something like this:

Mezsaros is a top-4 defenseman. Bouwmeester is a better defenseman--probably a 2/3. He's also a bit overpaid.

Mezsaros would give the Flames a younger, cheaper replacement for Bouwmeester who is quite capable of playing top-4 minutes; the 1st would give them another decent prospect, or perhaps a chip to move up in the 1st round and grab a blue-chip forward.

The Flyers pick up a player who can take some of the pressure off of Timonen in this, his final year.

I'm not sure I would do it from the Flyers perspective. To move back 20-odd spots in the draft, probably, but the third is stretching it a bit.
It's ok value, but I'm not a Mez fan at all.

Furthermore, Feaster has made it clear they are going win now. He has said a few times in the media that our biggest need is not prospects, but young NHL players who can contribute now.

Which is funny given the fact that those players hold huge value in today's trade scenarios. I don't really understand how he plans to pull a rabbit out of the hat.

Like I said, the only 2 players of resonable interest (given Feaster's direction) are Schenn and Couts. But I completly understand why Flyers fans do not want to give those guys up.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote