View Single Post
Old
06-14-2012, 09:19 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
I don't think Timonen, Carle, Grossmann, Coburn, Meszaros, Bourdon is as bad as you think. It's not like the Devils had a bunch of world-beaters with Salvador, Zidlicky, Greene, Fayne, Volchenkov and Harrold/Larson and they seemed to do pretty well.

In my opinion the issue is more that there needs to be more of a commitment to team defense, especially from the forwards. Guys can't just drift back in transition or just stand slot without guarding anyone, and nobody should get a free pass, including guys like Giroux who seemed to get lazy in his own end a little too much for my liking.

Realistically you can't really get mad at Giroux considering his contributions on the other end of the ice but guys like Briere and JVR need to get a clue in their own end or be moved to less prominent roles (like putting Briere on the wing).

From what I saw the Devils didn't get to the cup because of a stacked defense, or an unbelievable effort from their stars (although they were good), or lights out goaltending. They did it by having good puck support in their own end and having a relentless and disciplined forecheck.

I'm not a huge fan of not having a true #1 defenseman or Bryz in net, but I think we have enough strengths to overcome those flaws if they play smart. This organization just underwent a huge overhaul last offseason, let's try having some patience and truly see what we have with this group before going through another one.
All I'm saying is if you have a chance to go out an make a trade for Shea Weber. You do it, as long as it doesn't Include couturier or giroux.