View Single Post
Old
06-15-2012, 07:59 AM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie10 View Post
While I support the idea of Penner resigning a low risk contract, you have to take some things into consideration.

Brown has essentially become our top left wing at this point in his career and I don't see any reason that changes. If Penner were to resign, we have a logjam at left wing, with Brown, Gagne, Penner, and King.

If Fraser resigns, as well, you're looking at a consistently scratched Brad Richardson. I don't know if that's good for the team or not, and I don't know if Dean or Daryl would like that, either.

You're also denying a kid a spot. Detroit didn't stay competitive for two decades by resigning the same 12 forwards and 6 defensemen year after year. Their rosters were always evolving, always being supplanted with youth that had paid their dues. Datsyuk was being shuttled around Detroit's bottom six for a few seasons before he had his break through. If we expect to follow that mold, we need to open one or two slots a season to allow a rookie to play his way in. Otherwise, we're just icing the same team, except one year older. I don't know if that's a recipe for perennial success.

I love Penner and Stoll right now just as much as anyone else. Both guys played their way out of fan purgatory with fantastic postseasons. I just don't know if either, much less both on multi-year extensions, is a good route going forward.

Maybe I'm totally wrong. I just wouldn't rule out the possibility of, for example, letting Stoll go, moving Lewis to third line C, and giving a kid like Linden Vey a taste of the pros. Just thinking out loud there, but you get the point.

I would just hate to see Dean try to capture lightning in a bottle two years in a row and have it blow up his face.

Luckily these are decisions for management and all we have to worry about is continuing to celebrate our Cup.
I couldn't care less about rookies and their playing time. I want another cup. We should ice the best possible team given the constraints of the salary cap. I suspect the best possible team involves icing the exact same team, exactly a year older. If we were SJ or Det, that would be a problem. As one of the youngest teams in the league, I see no reason to change for the sake of changing for the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Penner-Richards-Carter
King-Stoll-Lewis
Gagne-Fraser-Nolan
Clifford-Richardson-Westgarth

That's 1 too many forwards. Someone won't be back.

Depth is a good problem to have. Can you honestly count on Gagne to give you a full year? We were extremely lucky with injuries this year, but we still missed Richards, Carter, Stoll, and obviously Gagne for several games.

Having the extra top 6 forward gives flexibility, especially with the number of people who can play multiple positions. If one of the centers goes down, simply shift Carter to C, Gagne up to the top 6, and we'd be fine. Does anyone really want to see Richardson in a Top 6 role ever again?

Injuries happen. Depth is a good thing.

Last edited by driller1: 06-15-2012 at 08:51 AM.
driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote