View Single Post
Old
06-15-2012, 08:47 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernmorris View Post
How much faith do we have in Tyler Wright and the scouting department?

It just dawned on me that we could potentially have 4 of the top 31 picks. We have the #2 & #31 overall. We could have the Kings pick at #30 and if Nash gets sent to the NYR then we could have #28 as well (or #8 if he goes to Carolina or #9 Toronto or #20 Philly, etc). This is a great opportunity to infuse our franchise with some much needed talent.

Which leads me back to my original question - how much faith do we have in Wright?

Here is my fear. Tyler is among, if not, the youngest guy(s) at his position in the entire league. He was brought in after the 07 draft as a developmental coach and his rise has taken him all the way up to, arguably, the third guy from the top of the Hockey operations department in under 5 years. This is the first real draft where we have a chance to get several picks that have significant chances to pan out for the future of the organization and the first real draft which Tyler will be the, for lack of a better term, BMOC at the draft table. With the number of picks in the top 60 we could potentially have before the beginning of the first round, this needs to be the smartest draft ever by the CBJ. We can't half-ass these anymore. Look at the '10 draft now, Straka (55), Archibald (94) and Corbeil (102) all were cut loose without initial offers and Dalton Smith is shaping up to be no better than a fourth liner, fighter-type at this level, and he was taken 34th overall....

Thats Half our 2010 draft class.... 3 guys we didn't even sign to develop and a fourth liner taken with our 2nd round pick....