View Single Post
Old
06-15-2012, 10:24 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnaneedsomewine View Post
I do not want Penner back at all. Thanks for your contributions during the playoffs, but see ya.

He upped his game in the playoffs and made some big plays for us, but I would not let myself get lured in. I think the only reason he turned it on down the stretch was to set himself up for his next contract. That's just the type of guy he is. He hasn't changed or had an epiphany. As soon as he gets his next deal, he'll throttle it down just like he always has.

You give him the security of a 2-3 year deal and you will see the dog in Penner come out again. He'll come into camp out of shape and loaf around the ice until his next contract year. Penner is antithetical to what Dean has been trying to build here.

Don't let the Stanley Cup win erase how much of a colossal disaster Penner was for basically his whole tenure in LA.

I'd rather spend the cap space elsewhere.
I totally disagree.

Penner "upped his game" when Sutter shoved a hockey stick in his ass. Penner has as much admitted to this, and is very appreciate of Sutter's actions and his faith in him down the stretch and well into the playoffs.

The fact that Penner was one of the player speakers at the really (the first speaker, in fact) is very telling.

He is a clubhouse leader, no doubt in my mind. He wants to play here, as he is on record as willing to take a pay cut to do so.

We keep him, IMO.