View Single Post
Old
06-15-2012, 10:25 AM
regulate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
This. Though with Zatkoff and Jones awaiting in Manchester, Berube in Ontario and Gibson toiling in the QMJHL (and I think able to go AHL/ECHL). The logjam does present an issue for Lombardi.

Unless Lombardi can turn a Bernier deal into either a high end forward prospect or a high draft choice (i.e. a lottery pick), I say he trades Zatkoff instead, even if Zatkoff is a RFA, I think he gets re-signed. Give Jones the starters job full-time in Manchester and Berube another year in Ontario with Gibson backing him up. Either that or have Gibson go play in Finland for a year (providing he'd get the playing time the Kings would want for development).
Zatkoff is an unrestriced free agent on July 1, so unless the Kings sign him shortly, he is no longer in our plans.

The Kings would be foolish, short of a massive overpayment for Bernier, to trade him this year.

1) You need an NHL caliber goal every game, not just when the starter is playing. I want to win every single time. Good goal tending gives you that chance. (Didn't we just learn this boys and girls).

2) Lombardi needs a bargaining chip. Quick is signed for one more full season. Obviously, everyone wants to get Quick signed to an extension. Bernier wants to play, and has high end NHL talent, but Lombardi needs to hold on to him until Quick is signed long term, plus we need an NHL caliber back up. Sucks for Bernier, but that's the way it is.

3) Injuries happen in this league. If Quick was seriously injured (think concussion), then what? Martin Jones? This isn't a video game, this is the back bone of your team built around defense. No way Lombardi is that much of a gambler short of massive overpayment.

regulate is offline   Reply With Quote