Old
06-15-2012, 10:31 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don't think bringing him to camp and giving him a shot is a realistic option unless they have no good candidates to spend 7 mil cap space on.

You have to build your roster pretty much by August 1st, that gives you the next 6 weeks to sign your RFA's UFA and other UFA's or make trades. If you want to get a winger and a stay at home d-man to plug holes, you can't wait until October to see how Gomez looks to sign somebody because by then all the good buys are gone. In the cap world you build 90% your NHL team from mid June to August 1st and tweak the other 46 weeks of the year.
Well, even if Gomez is ultimately going to be the victim of a compliance buyout (post Sept. 15th) or demotion to the minors (Sept/Oct), he's going to be on our cap until then. (Unless bought out NOW).

So I don't see how it affects things either way. I'd *try* to improve the team by using the 10% allowance to spend over the cap on July 1st. If I can succeed with that, great, if not, yikes - bad news for our team for the upcoming season. But either way, we still have Gomez. And you can't just ban him from attending training camp if he's there on a legit NHL contract and there isn't a work stoppage due to the CBA issue.

But hey, at least maybe we can lure extra quality free agents again... guys, we have the legendary Scott Gomez on our team, come and sign with us. Some people think that worked in the past, maybe it can work for us again. Although maybe we have to change the sales pitch... "see what a great organization we are, how well we pay our players, and keep paying them even after they underachieve... we didn't even buy out Scott Gomez... sign here, we have excellent benefits and offer superb job security... "

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote