View Single Post
Old
06-15-2012, 01:05 PM
Falco5

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
It doesn't work for the reason I pointed out: Sharks traded for his rights prior to signing him.

http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/..._Jose_Sharks/6

So Suter was not a UFA signed with no connection to the team. Technically he was re-signed. My point was about guys who were not traded for and then re-signed, or rights traded for and then signed (like G. Suter), but guys just simply signed with no previous Sharks connection as of July 1 of that UFA period.
I agree that the the sharks should not be expected to sign a big name free agent on July 1st if they did not own that player's rights prior to then. However I don't believe that is because San Jose is not an attractive place to play. Burns' contract goes completely against that. When he signed his extension he had not played in San Jose yet he still had a desire to sign a long term contract to play for the sharks.

I believe the reason the sharks don't make these signings is because that is not how they do business. Whether it's DW's choice or the ownership's, there is appears to be a philosophy coming from with in the organization that big free agents signings on the 1st are not good decisions.

Falco5 is offline   Reply With Quote