View Single Post
Old
06-15-2012, 05:23 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Yes and no.

Kevlar is stronger than fiberglass thus making it a better material for masks. But, that said, fit is also an extremely important of making a mask protective.

Fiberglass will more than suffice if you get a good fit (Protechsport has a custom fit fibreglass masks for 300 dollars or so), it will be more protective than a poorly fitted high level Kevlar mask (ie if you have a giant gap between the forehead and the sweatband).

I would say that if you are just playing pick up goaltending, something like a Hackva, Sportmask, Protechsport, Bauer NME7, Eddy GT series or RBK 7k will suffice

Just don't go with the Bauer 1200/1400, Bauer 2500 NME3 or NME5, or the RBK3k. Those are the most common masks on the retail market, but they are also the most dangerous as they are made of flimsy plastic.

Edit: if you really want to buy new gear, Sherwood is closing down their goalie factories so they have a bunch of clearances. You can get a full set of T95's for 599.99 now at some stores, those are one of the best senior level gear on the market and they are as close to pro level as you can get without being actually Pro.
True fit is very important. The last time I had a fiberglass mask though was back in first year midget, about 4-5 years ago. It was an Itech.Anyways I ended up being called up to play with the juvenile team, which was full of 18-21 year olds I believe, from time to time. First practice or game in juvenile, can't remember, took a shot off the mask and realized that they shoot a lot harder up here in juvenile. So my Dad decided I needed an upgrade and I got my kevlar Eddy mask which is perfect. I will never go back to fiberglass, I will find a Kevlar mask that fits no matter what.

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote