View Single Post
Old
06-15-2012, 09:16 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnaneedsomewine View Post
We'll just have to respectfully agree to disagree on this one.

I don't think that Penner all of a sudden had an epiphany at the age of 29 when Sutter got on his ass. It's definitely not the first time a coach has gotten on Penner for his disappointing play, and it sure won't be the last.

I think Penner is a fraud. He's going to say/do all the right things, act like he's somehow been "transformed" by Sutter, act like his experiences have changed him for the better, etc.

But I don't buy it for a second. It's all a ploy for a payday. The only reason he turned it on in the latter half of the regular season and the playoffs was to set up his next contract. That's just the type of guy he is, and I don't want to give a lazy 30 year old any type of long term security that could hinder us from improving the roster over the next few years.

I just don't trust Penner given his track record. Never have, never will. Selanne even called him a bit of a lazy guy that needed to be treated harshly. He has continually been criticized for being lazy, soft, out of shape, nonchalant, etc. Once a dog, always a dog. He will revert back to what he was once he has contract security.
Even if he takes the whole regular season off, I wouldn't care. As long as he showed up for the playoffs. With the firepower we have, we should make it. As we proved this year, seeding doesn't matter. And we could just sign him to a 1 yr contract - by your logic he'd be hungry next playoffs.

People of his size and skill aren't exactly a dime a dozen.